Sunday, September 30, 2012

The end of week 4

       Update on the last couple weeks. I just read another interns blog, and I have been feeling a little homesick myself. I am so glad that I stuck with the 6 weeks program, which actually turned out to be 7 weeks. 
I love it down here. It is so nice to live on the gulf side. The ocean is so calm and peaceful. I just have so much to get together before I graduate in December. I am planning to apply to jobs down in the Sarasota for next fall. 
My host and her family are so kind and full of spunk. I love it! Today we are decorating for Halloween and celebrating my host's birthday. 
       My students are the best. Last Friday the Senior Art class went to the Dali museum and the Hot Shop. The Hot Shop is a glass blowing studio, and we were able to see a guy make a plate from start to finish. A couple of the student set up a picnic. They asked me to join them. We had homemade pizza, stuffed mushrooms and pumpkin cookies. I made enough pumpkin cookies for the whole class, they turned out more like muffins. 
       One downfall teaching on Friday. I tried to teach a lesson to 10th graders on a Friday afternoon. There were a few unpleasant students that wanted to be smart. But, then the other half give so much respect that the joy of teaching high school is still in my heart.I just now know not to teach something new on a Friday. There will be a review segment on Monday. 
         My last period class is full of life, and I am going to miss them so much when I leave. I taught the Pre-IB 1 students a new lesson on Wednesday, and I allowed a couple in 8th period to draw on the active board. When the second student went up the class was silent, and watched him quietly. The student decided he was not done, even though I told him it was time to move on. There was a power struggle. I was laughing so hard, because we both were trying to get control of the board. I ended up tear eyed, and the majority of the other students were laughing too. 


The Pier at Sharky's
The Picnic @ Dali








I bought three of these "kisses" 


No comments:

Post a Comment